Archive for June, 2008
Posted on 24. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
We’ve got a very big promotion coming up at Gateway Church. Very Big. Actually it’s so big that we’re going to host four parent meetings to explain all that is happening. To be honest, we don’t really need the parent meetings, but its another opportunity for me to speak vision to our parents, so we’re going to anyway.
- Currently we have four nursery rooms that are almost at capacity every weekend.
- Our preschool is overflowing. We have 20-25 kids in our Clubhouse (large group teaching area) and over 40 four and five year olds in our Cottage room.
- We have Kindergarten-5th grade split between two rooms.
- We offer Middle School only during our 12:30 service.
Our 9:30 and 11:00 services see similar sized crowds, but our 12:30 service has a fraction of the participants.… Read the rest
Posted on 23. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
Over the last few weeks I’ve noticed that on my blog home page, my title is jumbled up some how. I noticed it but didn’t do anything to fix it as I’ve been busy. Finally I decided to take a look at it. So, I deleted the title of my blog to see what happened. The result?
So, until I figure out how to fix it, I’m either title-less or I’m the “One more thing” other site. I may have to go in and edit the code in the template… I just don’t know why it showed up now for no reason.… Read the rest
Posted on 23. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
Just the other day I came across another resource. It’s called cmconnnect. It’s a social network for Children’s Ministry. At first I was like, come on… another place for me to socially network. Right now I’m having trouble keeping up with Kidology, Facebook, Twitter and my ever-expanding blogroll. Sheesh, when is it going to end. However, once I jumped in, it looked kinda cool. Actually I was intrigued for two reasons.
- It was a Ning social network. My favorite podcast mentioned this a few weeks ago… I think it was ranked by webware as one of the best Web 2.0 services this last year. It’s a service where you can create your own social network. I remember looking at it and being interested in how you might take one of their templates and make a social network.
Posted on 23. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
I mentioned yesterday that we’re recruiting volunteers and developing leaders for the fall promotion on August 24th. We actually did a push from the stage yesterday, but we’re looking for way more volunteers than we can get from that. I’ve been talking to my staff about how we can “saturate” the vision in as many venues as possible. Here are some of the ways we’re going to (or hoping to) get the word out among our church.
- Parent Communication: It’s fairly common for me to send out an email to all the parents who’s kids attend regularly. Next week I’ll be sending out an email to inform them of all the events and activities coming up this summer. In that email I’ll mention some serving opportunities they can take advantage of.
Posted on 22. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
Last Sunday (yeah, I said last Sunday… I’m behind and catching up) I stood on stage and recruited new volunteers.
Yeah, I know. It is something I speak against, but I’m not going to apologize.
Actually, it was my first opportunity to be introduced to my church. Two weeks earlier it was announced that the previous Children’s Pastor had resigned and would be moving to Colorado in two weeks. A lot of people thought that I was his replacement. So, it was a good opportunity for me to introduce myself and explain my new role.
Second, I had the opportunity to share a little vision. On August 24th we’re promoting for the next year and also launching over 30 small groups in our elementary program The relational element has been missing here and is certainly a felt need.… Read the rest
Posted on 21. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
I think this is about the quietest I’ve been on the CMO blog since I came back in March. Sorry. I’ve got a whole bunch of posts swimming around in my head, I’m just saving them up! Actually, it’s been a pretty crazy 10 days.
- I got back from camp last week, on my little boy’s first birthday.
- We moved into our new house right before camp, so we’ve been unpacking a few boxes at a time… this is taking forever.
- Three groups with three different assignments. I’m in a small group with some men on staff. We’re reading a book of the Bible each week. This week is John. I’m in a spiritual development group with some guys I just met that’s been a lot of fun.
Posted on 16. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
Last week I wrote a post entitled two truths and a lie. It was fun to see what you guys thought was the lie. Well, here goes. Since each of them have a bit of a story behind them, I’ll tell that too. I’m sure you’re not going to let me get way with not telling you about the cobra or the staple.
Okay, truth number 1: When I was 17 years old I was on a mission trip in India. I was there for two months. After the first month, the 7 or 8 of us that were there for the full summer took a quick little vacation to Madras (no longer called Madras I think). One day while there, we rented mopeds.… Read the rest
Posted on 14. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
Okay, I’m going to wrap up my series of Twitter posts with this one, sharing one more resource and a cool story.
I noticed that a lot of the bloggers I follow on twitter have installed and application that sends a twitter feed when they write a blog. It’s a great add-on. Now for most of these people, I already subscribe to their blog feed, so I’m going to read their post at some point. This application though provided another way for me to get to their post. However, there are many people on Twitter that I don’t subscribe to their feed. Through this little application, I’ve found some new blogs that I now follow. So it’s a great tool. Using Google I found this great post here.… Read the rest
Posted on 13. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
Okay. I know of three full time job positions available right now that are hiring immediately. Like, the positions needed to be filled YESTERDAY. Let me tell you a little about the positions:
Elementary Director: This is a full time position at a church here in Austin, TX. It’s a cutting-edge church reaching the lost and disconnected in this very “cool” city. A large percentage (I want to say over half, but I can’t confirm) of attendees have come to Christ in this church. Church attendance at this campus (multi-site) is over 3000 with an average of 500-600 kids. The Elementary ministry is moving toward a large group/small group model and needs an experienced leader to take the ministry to the next level.… Read the rest
Posted on 11. Jun, 2008 by Kenny.
At camp this week we’ve been talking about the armor of God. In one of our activities we were talking about the belt of truth and in association, we played the game, two truths and a lie. Here’s a chance for you to get to know me a little better. Here were my two truths and a lie:
- Last December I was in Orlando and from a distance I saw the space shuttle launch.
- Several years ago I was in a moped accident trying to avoid a cobra in the road and ended up spilling over only about 3 feet from the deadly snake.
- In college, I accidentally stapled an index card to my forehead.
Which one do you think is the lie?… Read the rest