Archive for May, 2010
Posted on 31. May, 2010 by Kenny.
- CMO: #kidmin Twitter Weekly Updates for 2010-05-24 http://bit.ly/9JfIPO #
- CMO: #kidmin Updating my weekly parent update http://bit.ly/cV7jgM #
- @coveredindust @jonros I have an overwhelming urge to soot something with an arrow today. Plus, I'm paying dearly for what I ate… #
- @coveredindust @jonros more like festering… in reply to coveredindust #
- CMO: #kidmin Help me with patience http://bit.ly/bCdUqe #
- any1 know anything about "the City" (Especially in regard to the check-in module)? Been hearing positive things about it. #kidmin #orange10 #
- @anthony_prince was that a joke? The link to "my" website? in reply to anthony_prince #
- Having a T-Shirt designed my Amb3r right now for our kids summer camp. I'm very excited! #kidmin #
- @stocksohio I'm teaching this Sunday to our 4th and 5th graders.
Posted on 28. May, 2010 by Kenny.
Thanks for the feedback the other day on my patience talk. I’ve got one more favor to ask of you though. I need help with an illustration though. I think it’s an illustration I want to use in the introduction, a place where I can get us to laugh at ourselves over our natural inclination to be impatient.
I’m thinking of offering it up as a bit of a verbal quiz that would indicate your level of patience. Here are some of the questions I’ve already thought of:
- As a child, did you ever unwrap your presents early so youâ€™d know what you got?
- Have you ever read the last page of a book you were reading just to see what would happen?
Posted on 26. May, 2010 by Kenny.
So I’m in the middle of a blog series on Kidmin careers and unfortunately I have to take a quick break this week. So much is going on. However, I could really use your help. So, whether your a Kids Pastor, Senior Pastor, volunteer or a family member of mine who is reading this post, I would appreciate your help.
I’m in the middle of message planning craziness. In a few weeks, I’m speaking at our kids camp and I’m currently planning 9 separate messages (10-15 minute talks in the morning and 20-25 minute talks in the evening). In addition, I’m speaking this Sunday to our 4th and 5th graders which I’m working on that talk right now. Last of all, my Pastor is leading a four week training where he’s teaching about 10-12 staff/leaders how to plan and prepare a message the way he does it.… Read the rest
Posted on 24. May, 2010 by Kenny.
I’ve been using Constant Contact for almost two years to communicate news to parents. I’ve been very happy with it as a communication tool. I get all kinds of great feedback from every email like what emails are being read, forwarded and the like. However, I’ve been very slow to adjust to using all that Constant Contact has to offer. For the first several months, I didn’t use any graphics. It was just a boring text email. Then a few months later I added a snappy header and that’s what I’ve been using ever since. However, I’ve been inspired to make some changes and have a semi-final product. I’d be curious as to what you think.
Here’s the template I’ve been using (click on image to see full page):
Here’s the new template (blue version, not sure we’re going to use this one):
Here’s another new template (green version, probably going to go with this one):
I’ll be using this new template this week, so any input you have would be much appreciated.… Read the rest
Posted on 24. May, 2010 by Kenny.
- CMO: #kidmin Twitter Weekly Updates for 2010-05-17 http://bit.ly/a7aEz7 #
- CMO: #kidmin Random (but not usless) information http://bit.ly/b6BErt #
- CMO: #kidmin What matters now? http://bit.ly/9hmrfC #
- CMO: #kidmin Free Ugly Towel Sunday http://bit.ly/aTFZXI #
- CMO: #kidmin Starting/Restarting your Childrens Ministry Career http://bit.ly/bsU9yx #
- On the treadmill… Or should I say dreadmill. First time in 3 weeks. Here we go! #
- @ryanwynia oh, I'm taking it slow, no worries there. in reply to ryanwynia #
- CMO: #kidmin Video Review: Whatâ€™s in the Bible Disc One http://bit.ly/cOXt4Q #
- CMO: #kidmin Childrens Ministry Career: Starting options http://bit.ly/dapnvG #
- Eye-Fi'd 1 photos to Facebook. http://is.gd/cfxZf #
- http://twitpic.com/1p5jne Saweeeet! Look what just came for me in the mail. A free gift because of my awesomeness.
Posted on 21. May, 2010 by Kenny.
This isn’t the first time I’ve dedicated a post to my Yankee friend. However, Jonathan Cliff sent this to me a few weeks ago (not becasue he thought this was cool, but becasue he was picking on me) and I figured I should post this. Let me defend myself first.
I am not a Trekkie. I do not own any Star Trek paraphernalia, movies or costumes. Of the TV shows that have been running for literally decades, I’ve seen only a dozen or so episodes, most of them back when I was a teenager. However, I have seen all the movies, I think. There may be one in there that I missed.
However, because I do like the Sci-Fi genre and becasue I’ve I can recall a few random Star Trek facts that I’ve picked up and remembered from watching the movies, Sam Luce thinks I’m a Trekkie.… Read the rest
Posted on 20. May, 2010 by Kenny.
This is a silly commercial advertising the Toyota Sienna. I laughed out loud many times.
I think what I like most about this commercial were the parents and they way they were portrayed. Really, it was a commercial geared to mini-van moms and dads showing how cool you might be driving a Sienna. Although these parents might be a little over confident (and arrogant), they look like pretty good parents. They’re engaged in their kids lives. Period. When statistics say that the average parent spends only 15 minutes a day interacting with their kids, I say we need more parents like these.
Maybe Toyota is trying to tell people that paretns who drive Siennas are cool.… Read the rest
Posted on 20. May, 2010 by Kenny.
As I said yesterday, I think the best place to locate a ministry job is through the network you’ve created. However, depending on the situation you are in, you might need to exhaust all available options. If that’s the case, you need to spend some time on the ministry job boards. Landing that next job might be a little combination of utilizing your network along with searching the job boards. So many churches put available positions out there, so look regularly. Here are a few of the sites I’d recommend:
There are more than just these though, you just need to look around and wee what there is.
Posted on 19. May, 2010 by Kenny.
On Monday I wrote a blog post about starting your Kidmin career. Yesterday I followed it up with another post about starting options. These posts got me thinking a lot about my humble beginnings in Children’s Ministry. There is no doubt, if I could have done it over again, I’d do it the same. Why? I believe that God ordained my steps each and every step along the way. I believed I was following God in the steps I took. Looking back, I see that was true. However, would I recommend someone do exactly what I did? I’m not sure, maybe not. Not unless they felt God was opening up that door.
Here’s my story. I did a one year internship after High School with a missions organization.… Read the rest