I must admit, I’m very proud of myself. I think that this is probably the most books I’ve read in a year since I was in college and I had a lot of extra time on my hands. I think I did somewhere between 8-11 books in 2011. The funny thing is that I’ve been incredibly busy this year with starting up Illuminate and picking several new speaking opportunities. So, what changed?
Reading for a purpose:
There were several books that I picked up because I really needed to brush up on something or learn something for a breakout I was going to lead. Reading for a purpose seems to provide much higher motivation for me than just reading a book because someone said it was good.
Reading on the iPad allows me to multi-task
It was in April or May that I installed the Kindle app on my iPad and I started taking it with me to the gym while on the treadmill. I spent several months in the spring preparing to hike some mountains in Colorado and I found that the Kindle App allowed me to read while exercising. I love it. This alone helped me read more and kept me motivated to keep working out. Many times I went to run just because I wanted to read.
Here is the list of books:
- My First 90 Days in Ministry: How to Make a Splash Without Getting All Wet
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard My Review
- Fields of Gold
- Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
- A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: How I Learned to Live a Better Story
- The E-Myth Revisited
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right My Review
- The 4-Hour Workweek
- Connect with Your Kids
- Kidmin Leadership
- I Blew It
- No Shortcuts to the Top
- Hood (King Raven Trilogy, Book 1)
- The Hunger Games
- Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)
- Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games
Tomorrow I’ll share with you my top 5 favorite books of 2011 and why. I’ve written reviews of several of the books already, but those I haven’t reviewed, I’ll do so in the coming weeks. Maybe one of these books will end up on your 2012 reading list.
Join the Daily Dispatch!
If you're a kidmin content junky... submit your name and email and you will get the following:
• Daily updates from the blog
• Weekly blog summaries with exclusive content
• Access to amazing resources
ALL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!