They say that Disney is the “Happiest Place on Earth.” That may be true, but I think that summer camp comes pretty close. I think though that when you add in the life-impact that so many kids experience, Disney doesn’t have anything on camp.
So, I’m extra excited because I get to go to camp twice. That’s right. I’m the Camp Pastor for two Pre-Teen camps for Camp Zephyr in Sandia, TX. I got to speak last summer (at the one Gateway’s kids attended) and this year I’m speaking next week when Gateway is there and the following week as well. I’ll be speaking 9 times during the first week and 7 times during the second. I must say that I’m super excited!
So, what am I teaching? Well, I’m really excited about this as well. We’re using “Chase the Light” by reThink. It’s solid curriculum for sure. The videos that accompany are top notch and the theme is PERFECT. If you’re looking for a GREAT summer curriculum, you should check out “Chase the Light.”
So, I took the script and modified for our needs. The theme is “Chase the Light” with the verse John 8:12.
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said,Â â€œI am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.â€
The fun part is we’re teaching what happens to a person when they chase the light. We see how seemingly misfits turn the world upside down. We have three powerful evening session plans:
- See that God is choosing me and he wants me to follow him. Even though I may not think that I’m much of anything, I’m a masterpiece… a work of art. I’ve believed lies about who I am or what I’m not and I’m going to name those lies and recognize that they are lies and no longer believe them.
- See Jesus for who he is and recognize that what I think I know about Jesus may not be the truth. I’ll see that Jesus is God’s Amazing Rescue Plan for humanity and the only appropriate response is to chase him with all my heart.
- See that even if I follow Christ, sin is still a problem. I tend to hide my sin and keep it in the dark. The plan of the enemy is to immobilize me with sin, keeping me from doing all that God has planned for me. The only way to deal with this sin is to come into the light and confess what it is that is holding me back. I can find freedom in confession.
This is just three of the messages, but the most significant. I’m very excited and praying so hard for lives to be forever changed by the power of God’s word and the Holy Spirit.
Join the Daily Dispatch!
If you're a kidmin content junky... submit your name and email and you will get the following:
• Daily updates from the blog
• Weekly blog summaries with exclusive content
• Access to amazing resources
ALL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!