Bill George is a professor at Harvard Business School, former CEO at MEDTRONIC and the Author of Authentic Leadership and True North.
Bill begins by saying that we’ve been in a leadership crisis for the past 10 years.
Gallup polls reveal the following:
- Only 1 in 5 trust leaders in business
- Only 12% trust leaders in Congress
- 48% trust leaders in church
As Christian leaders we were born to manifest the glory of God. It’s not for just some of us, but for all of us.
We’ve been choosing the wrong leaders. Charisma, zeal, style… these are not the basis for effective leadership. Why do we wonder when they fall due to poor character?
Peter Drucker said, “Leadership is not money, fame or power, it’s responsibility.”
With 21st century leadership, we need to align, empower, serve and collaborate!
- Align: Align people around a mission or a vision.
- Empower: Don’t get people to follow you, but empower them to lead.
- Serve: We exist to serve those we lead.
- Collaborate: When it comes to the big problems, no single organization can fix it. We have to work together.
Six things about leadership:
- Understand the purpose of your leadership.
- Become self aware. Get feedback on how you are leading.
- Values – What happens when everything you’ve been building hangs in the balance?
- Follow your motivations and capabilities. Intrinsic motivations need to match external motivations.
- Build a support team around you. Have people around you that you can be open and honest with.
- Lead and integrated life. You’ll never live a balanced life, but you can be the same person in every area of your life.
Follow you compass, not your clock.
Now is the time to build your support team.
Leadership is not about having power over people, but empowering other people.
Leaders who failed did not fail to lead others, but failed to lead themselves. They weren’t grounded or being themselves.
Join the Daily Dispatch!
If you're a kidmin content junky... submit your name and email and you will get the following:
• Daily updates from the blog
• Weekly blog summaries with exclusive content
• Access to amazing resources
ALL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
48% trust church leaders. It goes to show the level of responsibilty we have.
FMD (Writer for the World Famous ‘The Thursday Blog’)
FMD’s last blog post..Donâ€™t Mess With The Godfather
I think the reason for the disparity in trust is that business leaders and politicians always have conflicting interests. Whereas in a church, the leader has the same vested interest as the congrogation: to simply be happy,