Right now, repeat this after me:
“There are things that I’m emotionally attached to. I recognize this potential weakness. I need to invite someone to be honest with me about these things and do what they encourage me to do.”
That wasn’t so hard, was it. This happens all the time and we have to recognize that we are going to get in the way of what’s best for your ministry. Need proof? Look at the 60 year old wearing clothes that he/she bough 20 years ago. That person thinks they look great because 20 years ago they WERE great. However, no one has been truly honest with that person saying, “Dude, can I take you shopping?” or someone did but the person doesn’t believe them.
Just know that this IS going to be you someday. It could be you now. Here’s what you need to do:
- Invite others (especially those of a generation or two below you) to give you constant feedback. Recognize that as you get older, you get more and more out of touch… no matter how awesome you were 10 years ago. If everyone is telling you what you want to hear, you need to find new people because they’re not being honest with you. This extends beyond your ministry (like your clothes, things you say and other stuff). Surround yourself with honest people and listen with an open mind.
- Resist your urge to resist the advice the others are giving you. You’re going to want to push back. You’re going to want to believe that they don’t know what they’re talking about. By all means, get a second opinion or a third, but when they all tell you that you need to stop using PowerPoint… for the Love of God, stop using PowerPoint!
If you want to remain relevant in the ministry God has placed you and you want to continue to be effective with the kids, volunteers and parents who attend your church, ruthlessly evaluate yourself on a regular basis.
Join the Daily Dispatch!
If you're a kidmin content junky... submit your name and email and you will get the following:
• Daily updates from the blog
• Weekly blog summaries with exclusive content
• Access to amazing resources
ALL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!