A couple of weeks ago I wrote about Microsoft’s Tag and how I was going toÂ experimentÂ with it, using it on a promotional piece for our summer camp. Well, I thought I’d share some of the results as well as additional things I’ve learned.
Since I blogged about Tag on my blog, I had 11 people scan it. One of those people was me, but my favorite was Jarred Massey who left me a great comment on the secret page the tag took him to. Extra points for you Jarred. I’ve also had about 11 people scan the tag on my camp promo card since the day the card was distributed to parents. I don’t know how many were repeats of the same people or one of my volunteers showing parents what it was. 🙂 I’m not too terribly impressed, but I’ve learned something in the process.
- My first problem was going with Microsoft. Sorry to be a hater, but it appears there is already significantly moreÂ momentumÂ behind QR tags as opposed to the Microsoft tag. They’ve been doing it longer too, so I think that some of my issue was using microsoft when I should have gone with QR to begin with. Check out the info graphic on the side to learn more about QR tags. I imagine that 100% of everyone who scanned my tags last week actually downloaded the microsoft reader in order to scan it. However, I’d be willing to bet that there were at least a few people who had a QR reader but didn’t bother to download the Microsoft reader.
- QR is everywhere. Since I’ve learned about Microsoft Tag, I’ve not seen it out in the wild once. However, I’ve seen the QR tag 3 times. Once in a real estate listing magazine, once on aÂ restaurantÂ window and another time on a menu. I scanned all three that I saw.
So, I expect that I’ll get better results with QR, but I don’t expect an overwhelmingÂ response. I have a feeling we’re still in the early stages of how this stuff develops. One thing you can count on though. My business card for Orange is going to have a QR tag on it. I’m such a nerd.
Join the Daily Dispatch!
If you're a kidmin content junky... submit your name and email and you will get the following:
• Daily updates from the blog
• Weekly blog summaries with exclusive content
• Access to amazing resources
ALL DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!